Hey y’all! I’m taking a quick break from babyland (who am I kidding, I’m literally nursing while I type this!) to share a few of my favorite things that are making life easier or more comfortable in this new postpartum stage. I thought it might help some of you who are there too, or will be soon! Plus, I’m giving away some of my favorite goodies – wahoo!
My Postpartum Favorites:
1. Sleep bras & nursing bras – nursing boobies need support, but a comfy bra is a must. I’ve been living in sleep bras from Target and nursing bras from Bravado Designs (especially love the confetti bra and the sweet pea bra). The ones from Bravado are still pretty while being functional and comfortable too.
2. Belabumbum pjs – you spend most of your time resting, changing diapers, nursing, nursing, and nursing some more. I don’t leave the house much. So cute and comfy pjs are a must and my favorites have been these Colette pjs from Belabumbum.
3. Water in a BIG travel cup – if you’re nursing you need to drink lots of water. Plus, it’s ridiculously hot where I am so staying hydrated is key for milk production. I love my mason jar travel drink cup – I fill it up and guzzle it down. It doesn’t sweat, spill, and makes drinking a ton of water easy.
4. Nipple balm – if you’re nursing, a nipple balm is a must. I have fallen in love with this one from Zoe Organics. It is all natural, smells great, and works wonders. I’ve even been using it on my baby’s raw booty – it has healed his dry and bleeding bum better than anything else I’ve tried.
5. Starbucks Via Instant Coffee/Latte – A friend brought me these and I now can’t live without them. Brewed coffee takes time, and in the morning when you have a baby screaming to be fed, you don’t have time to make it. These little packets of Starbucks Via are instant – just add a mug of hot water. And they are tastier than brewed coffee too!
6. Saint Grace pants & tanks – my postpartum body is, well, not awesome. I still look prego, my hips are still wide and my tummy is flabby. I can’t fit into my pre-pregnancy clothes, but don’t feel good about myself wearing maternity clothes everyday. I wore the flowy pants and tanks from Saint Grace during my pregnancy and they are the perfect chic and comfy uniform for postpartum mamas. And they flatter postpartum bodies too.
7. Bamboobies – leaky boobs aren’t my fave. You finally get a shower and fresh clothes on, then your boobs leak all over you and said clothes. Bamboobies are washable and reusable nursing pads, they are soft and comfy, and they do the trick.
8. A massage and/or heating pad – I was retaining a ton of water after I delivered, and I had a lymphatic draining massage which really helped. Plus your body is sore from delivery, your neck and shoulders kill from nursing, and you need a nap. It can help carpal tunnel too. If you can’t get a massage, having a heating pad for your shoulders is helpful. I love mine – I can throw it in the microwave for 1-2 minutes and then drape it on my shoulders before and after I nurse to ease my muscles.
9. Doie Lounge Robe – I took my Doie Lounge robe to the hospital and it made me feel like a new, somewhat put together person. It’s great to wear around over my undies and nursing bras, because you never know when you’ll have 5 minutes for a quick shower, or when one of those dreaded hormonal hot flashes will appear. One of these robes on top of your dirty, sweaty, aching body just makes you feel good.
10. Nature Valley Protein Bars – I eat one of these during nursing sessions for a quick snack. I even keep one on my bedside table for late night feedings. They help keep me going when finding time to eat can be hard.
11. My Brest Friend Nursing Pillow – a good nursing pillow is a must. I was struggling during my first 10 days postpartum using my boppy – it wasn’t working for me and my baby and my neck and shoulders were killing me. I ordered a My Brest Friend and have never looked back. It has made nursing so much more pleasant and easier on my body. I hear boppys work better when nursing older babies.
12. Earth Mama Angel Baby New Mama Bottom Spray – if you have a vaginal delivery, you’re gonna have some issues “down there” afterwards. Without sharing too much, let me just say that this spray helps a multitude of issues. And it sprays while held upside down, which is key. Also helpful/necessary in the “down there” issue department: wipes with witch hazel, tucks pads, Prep H cream, pads (I prefer thick ones with the hospital’s mesh underwear as long as bleeding is heavy, then very thin pads with wings when it gets lighter).
13. Warm baths – another must for vaginal deliveries are sitz baths. But I didn’t have time for 3 of these a day so I would just indulge in one longer bath each evening, with lavender epsom salt. So helpful! These are also great as a mini-sitz bath when you don’t have time for an actual bath.
14. Solly Baby Wrap – Sometimes baby just wants to be held, and as much as you love holding him or her, your arm needs a break, your older child needs attention, or you need to get something done. I’ve found using my Solly Baby Wrap has made life easier in those situations. I also love putting Calvin in it if we’re going around people – less touching and getting in his face when he’s wrapped up on me.
15. Mother’s Milk Tea – I had supply issues with my first baby (due to an undiagnosed thyroid disorder – more on that here), so I had a low supply and also had to pump a lot. This time, I’m trying to build my supply while avoiding my pump when possible. I’ve found drinking a couple of cups of this tea everyday has helped. I also eat oatmeal for breakfast, drink lots of water, and nurse on demand when I can. Also, a wheaty beer is said to help and I say it’s worth a try!
And now for our giveaway. I’m giving away my favorite things to wear postpartum to one lucky winner. You’ll get 1. The two Bravado Designs nursing bras listed above, 2. a tank and pants from Saint Grace (style and color based on winner’s size and availability), 3. The Doie Lounge Elena robe (pictured), 4. A set of black pjs from Belabumbum (pictured), and 5. A Solly Baby Wrap (color choice based on in stock availability) so you can wear your baby!
The giveaway will end on 9/13/14 and the winner will be announced below on 9/14. Only one comment below will count as an entry, and be sure to follow instructions in the giveaway widget below. Good luck!