Baby proofing isn’t as fun to research or shop for as other baby gear categories, but it is probably one of the most important things to think about as a parent. It is about safety, after all. No, the knobs and latches aren’t cute. But they can save your baby’s life. While I certainly don’t think you need to add bumpers and padding to every single corner and hard surface in your home, I do think protecting your baby from toxic cleaning products, heavy furniture, and other safety hazards is pretty easy with the right products. So I rounded up my top 10 baby proofing essentials that every home should have.
- Munchkin Multi-use Latches: These things are amazing. You can pretty much use them to latch anything shut — cabinets, the toilet, the refrigerator, the oven — all without needing to do any drilling or causing any damage. A must-have.
- Safety 1st Furniture Wall Straps: It is so important to secure large furniture like dressers and bookshelves to the wall to prevent tipping over on your children if they climb or pull on it. These wall straps are essential.
- TV safety strap: Our TV is placed up high where it can’t be reached by little ones, but even still (and especially since we are in earthquake territory) it needs to be secured to the wall or furniture. These straps make it really easy to do that.
- Window blind cord wraps: I feel like this is one you don’t realize is a hazard until you are a parent, but window blind cords are really dangerous. These wraps make it simple to secure and keep them out of reach, which is way easier and more reliable than trying to knot them like I originally did. And it actually looks nicer too. So easy to install as well!
- Outlet covers: This is probably the simplest and fastest way to do some basic baby proofing. These simply go into each outlet, keeping them inaccessible from tiny fingers. There are many different kinds, but these have worked great for us.
- Power Strip Covers: Sometimes we go around and cover all of our outlets, but we forget about accessible power strips. That’s why this power strip cover made the list.
- Finger Pinch Guards: These are actually brilliant and help keep little fingers safe from pinches and smashes due to closing doors. It can also keep little ones and pets from accidentally getting locked in a room.
- Safety Gate: We don’t have stairs, so I don’t use a gate, but when Charlie was a baby we lived in a home with stairs and this was a must. But you can also use them to keep baby limited to one room (or out of one room) etc. And I love this one from Munchkin if you’re looking to add a gate to a frequently seen space because it looks more stylish while still providing safety and security. It also has a turnkey mount, making it simple to install without drilling.
- Oven Knob Covers: I didn’t need these with Charlie — he never even tried to touch the oven — but Calvin tried to turn the oven knobs as soon as he could reach, so on these went. Better safe than sorry, right?
- Magnetic Cabinet Locks: Another brilliant and simple baby safety product are these magnetic cabinet locks. You don’t need to install them or drill into your cabinets, and they aren’t hard to unlock when you need to get into the cabinet yourself. It doesn’t matter what type of knob or pull you have either. Genius and a must have.
What are your favorite baby safety products or baby proofing methods? I really don’t think you need to baby proof every single thing in your house. I’m a big believer in leaving things as normal as possible and teaching your baby not to touch certain things. But there are just some areas that should be secured and aren’t worth the risk, especially when it is so simple to prevent injury or death. At the end of the day, it’s always better to be safe than sorry.
*this post contains some affiliate links. if you click on the link and buy the product, I may make a small commission (at no additional cost to you), which helps me continue to bring you lovely content here on Oh Lovely Day. Thanks for the support! You can also bypass these links if you prefer.