Happy Friday! I wanted to send you into the weekend with my favorite green smoothie recipe – Charlie and I start our day with one most days lately. I used to make these all of the time and then had a total aversion to them when I was pregnant. So the smoothie is making a comeback in our house in 2015. I love using my Mason Jar Blender to make these, but probably any good blender would work fine. I just find that I’m more likely to make smoothies daily when I keep this little blender out on my countertop rather than getting out my bigger clunky blender.
GREEN SMOOTHIE RECIPE
Ingredients for one large serving:
- 1 ripe banana
- frozen spinach (could also use fresh spinach and a frozen banana if you prefer)
- coconut milk (or regular milk or almond milk if you prefer)
- peanut butter (can use sunflower or almond butter if you have a peanut allergy)
- flax seed mill
- I fill my container pictured above about 1/3 of the way with frozen spinach (approx. 1 cup frozen spinach)
- Cut up one ripe banana
- Add one tbsp of flax seed mill
- Add one heaping tbsp of peanut butter
- Fill remainder of cup with choice of milk (1-2 cups depending on your preference)
- Add a squeeze of honey
Blend, pour into your favorite cup, add a straw, and enjoy! My favorite part is that it basically tastes like a peanut butter and banana smoothie but has all the benefits of eating leafy greens – not mine or Charlie’s favorite thing to eat. Win win!
This is also a great thing to add probiotics to if you give those to your kid, or if you need to sneak a sick kiddo some medicine (just be sure they drink the whole smoothie – which my kid always does!)
What’s your favorite tasty + healthy smoothie recipe?
And if you’d like to catch up on all of my momma posts elsewhere, here ya go:
Why It’s Ok to NOT Breastfeed (I’m trying to start a #nourishwithoutshame movement – join me by reading the post, sharing your photos of you feeding your baby, however you feed your baby, and use the hashtag!)