Not all that long ago I had never worn a beanie, which is shocking now considering I practically live in one. I always loved how they looked but was certain I couldn’t pull one off and I had no idea how to wear or style one. I mentioned to my friend Jesi that I wished I could pull off a beanie like she does (she is the QUEEN of beanies) and she said “you totally can!” Then she put it one my head and in two seconds flat had it styled to perfection. I bought it on the spot and it is still my favorite beanie even though I’ve since bought like ten more. My mom bun has been replaced with my “mom beanie.” They are cute, warm, and cover a multitude of dirty hair days. I’m now a firm believer in the beanie and think that everyone can pull them off with a couple of tips.
- Give your hair some texture. If you are lucky enough to have thick hair naturally, you might not need to do this. I have really fine hair, so mine needs some help. I usually do a quick wave job by alternating pieces and waving with my curing iron (nothing fancy – I swear by this one).
- Flip your head over, give it a toss, and flip it back. Pull your hair around to the front of your shoulders. Now it is time to put on your beanie.
- Put a hand on each side of your beanie with it pointing toward the ground, head opening facing up. Make sure it is turned where the front of the beanie is closest to your body. Slightly stretch the opening. Put it on! (If any of you would like a video tutorial, let me know. It seems simple enough but I know reading instructions is often not as helpful as seeing it done.)
How you wear your beanie is mostly personal preference. It also changes depending on the style of your beanie and the shape and size of your head. I prefer mine to look casual but not be too hipster (I’m really not cool enough to pull off the hanging off my head look). Above are a few ways I wear mine depending on whether I’m wearing it to actually keep warm or to cover dirty hair. Sometimes I cuff it, sometimes I leave it unrolled. I also have a larger forehead (or fivehead as my husband lovingly calls it) so I tend to wear mine a little more forward because I just feel more comfortable and less ‘foreheady.’
If you want to try a beanie, some of my favorite ones are pictured above, and sourced below:
- Gigi Pip (both taupe/beige beanies pictured)
- Krochet Kids
- Old Navy (the ivory fur pom one, the green marled one and the black one – the black one is actually a men’s beanie! None are currently available)
- Funky Junque on Amazon (not pictured but super cute and lots of color options!)
- Under Armour (not typically a bit UA fan but these are warm and cute!)
Are you a beanie lover? Do you have a favorite? Or do you have another favorite winter accessory staple? Winter survival and bad hair day survival tips are always welcome 🙂