2. I always have to have an emollient lip balm with SPF on hand and these Prada balms are my very favorite. They come in tiny tubes, and aren’t the cheapest balm out there, but they are the best balms I’ve ever tried, and I consider myself a connoisseur of balm. They discontinued my favorite clear one, but you can get them in a variety of tints.
3. A beach day isn’t complete without a great pair of aviator sunglasses. Charlie tends to break mine, so I only buy cheapies, but this Tom Ford pair is on my wishlist.
4. This iPhone case by Lifeproof makes your iPhone waterproof, so you can be sure it will be safe for the beach and ocean. You can even take pictures underwater!
5. Sunscreen is a pretty obvious pick, but I can’t live without these waterproof spray sunscreens for kids. Charlie will NOT let me rub sunscreen in on him, so the spray is key. I know sunscreens can be a hot button topic, but these have always worked well for us – you pick your own favorite, just make sure to use it.
6. I bought this exact pair of light gold Haviannas flip flops for my vacation. The color matches everything and they always leave me blister-free.
7. These turkish towels are perfect for the beach – they are much smaller than regular beach towels, so they don’t take up your whole beach bag, they dry faster, and you can use them as a sarong or scarf too. I have them in blue and orange and love them.
8. A beach read is always a must for me, although I don’t really get to relax and sunbathe with a book now that I have a kid. But this was my vacation read, and it is the 4th in a series by Irish author Tana French. I highly recommend all 4, but start with In The Woods. Oh, and I also loved Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn!
9. Everyone should have baby powder in their beach bag – just pour some of it on sandy spots and wipe off and it removes sand completely. Genius.
10. A good hat is also a must-have for me and my son. We both have these straw fedoras, which keep our fine-hair heads sunburn free, and look cute when our hair doesn’t. I bought mine at a little stand at the Grove in LA, and Charlie’s is from Children’s Place.
Do you have beach essentials that I left off my list? Put them in the comments and we can get a running list going for all those planning honeymooners!