I’ve been very vocal about my own experience using a honeymoon registry (I loved it!) almost four years ago, but it seems that some people are still on the fence about the idea. However, the honeymoon registry is becoming popular as many couples find it most appropriate for their needs. After all, the purpose of a gift registry is to take the guesswork out of gift giving.
These days couples are older when they are getting married, many have lived on their own, or together as a couple, for years before their wedding. They don’t need ‘the stuff.’ But everyone deserves a dream honeymoon.
Even though honeymoon registries are not completely main-stream, they can be very practical and useful for the average engaged couple. If you’re still on the fence about whether or not to use one, here are five reasons why you should:
- You get exactly what you want. At department stores, the wedding registry salespeople can leave you feeling guilty for not registering for enough. They say you need hundreds of gifts on your registry to give guests plenty of selection and you need to accommodate a wide variety of price points. The problem is that you end up registering for things you don’t really want or need; only to take them back or be stuck figuring out what to do with them after the wedding. With a honeymoon registry, you can get what you really want – the experience of a truly memorable honeymoon.
- You don’t have to ask for money. If you feel you don’t need to register for many of the traditional housewares for your wedding, and would prefer gifts towards your honeymoon, it’s still awkward to ask for money. A respectful way to accomplish this goal is through the use of a honeymoon registry that allows you to spend your gift money on your honeymoon. With a honeymoon registry, your guests are essentially giving you money, but each guest will know exactly what that money is intended for – so they can feel good about giving you a special honeymoon gift.
- You can combine it with a traditional wedding registry. No one said you can’t have it both ways! Most couples these days have wedding registries set up at more than one store so they have a variety of items to choose from. If you need a few practical essentials for your home but also want a great honeymoon, there’s no unspoken rule saying you can’t register at Target or Crate and Barrel and Honeymoon Pixie! You can get the best of both worlds this way!
- You can track your registry online to help you plan for your honeymoon. It’s a good idea to register early for your honeymoon registry to provide guests the opportunity to purchase their gift for you well before your wedding. This will help with your budgeting, as you can then monitor the gift funds received and how much money you’ve got coming in at any given point. Registry gift funds can be redeemed weeks before your wedding to help pre-pay for your lodging and airfare, easing budget concerns. Overall, many couples are pleasantly surprised at the level of gift giving and find that they can splurge a little more on their honeymoon.
- Guests get to do it all online. A honeymoon registry is the perfect solution for couples who have friends and family in far-off places. They may want to buy you a gift but would have to ship it to you, which takes time and can be expensive. Plus they may have to pay tax and have the gift wrapped. With a honeymoon registry, they can do all their gift-giving online, avoid the various fees, and not have to guess what you really want for a gift. And you’ll have a detailed ‘thank you’ list from your registry, so you’ll know what to thank each gift giver for!
Though honeymoon registries are still new, they’re clearly a great idea for the modern couple. If you want an unforgettable honeymoon and don’t want to deal with taking back the three extra crystal vases you get on your wedding day, it might be the perfect solution for you! I know it was one of the best decisions my husband and I made.
This post was sponsored by Honeymoon Pixie, but the opinions are my own.